Why do we think that any country outside the boundary of our white cliffs is a waste land, devoid of civilised society and everyday common all garden goods?
I found myself packing over a kilo of bacon this morning in a cool bag, inserted inside a suitcase. What was I thinking when I squashed two packs of weetabix inside another suitcase that was already bursting at the seams? Thankfully I stopped short of packing our last remaining Heinz Baked Beans tins. Only because there was literally no where for them to go!
After applying my common sense about the beans I then had to negotiate the stairs with four large, extremely heavy cases. Where's that weight lifter belt when you need it??
Two minutes before the taxi turns up and Olivia, who had been sprawled out on the settee while the mayhem gathered pace around her, suddenly piped up asking where her white converse trainers were. Debra in a state of what can only be described as mind blowing anxiety told her they had been packed away last night while she had been out roaming the streets. All hell breaks loose once again with olivia insisting on routing through the cases to find the only shoes that will go with the outfit she has chosen to fly in. Very Calmly (not) I instructed Olivia to go away and find something else to wear!
I think the taxi driver has developed a hernia after lugging our cases in his boot.
Things have gone surprisingly well since arriving at the airport, except for the guy behind us in queue to check in letting go of his case, which toppled over, scraping its way to the ground along Debra's calf and ankle .....ouch! She kept her cool and bottled up her outburst until later, when to expect it I can't say but I am sure it will come. I thought it might come when she kept making the metal detector beep and had to stand prostrate in the body scanner but she kept it together well and now she is happily shopping in the departures lounge as I am typing away on my phone, interspersed with a glug or two of the amber nectar!
Keep your eyes peeled for further exploits from the family Mangini as we venture to Lake Garda and Venice.
Happy Holidays!!
No comments:
Post a Comment